William L. Wilkie "Marketing for a Better World" Award
(To make a donation to the Wilkie Award Fund, click the donate button and select "William L. Wilkie Award " under the Program Support drop-down menu).
Nominations currently closed
Marketing is a wonderfully complex and important field of study. The aggregate marketing system is a huge and sprawling human institution, embedded in the daily life of its society. It brings a dynamism to its society as it strives to grow and create. Marketing monitors the wants and needs of its citizens, and works to deliver satisfactions of these. It builds tangible and intangible infrastructures to assist in its work, and brings employment and wages to its millions of members. While Marketing can sometimes overstep bounds in its pursuits, it also can bring wonder to – and real improvements in – peoples’ daily lives. One important goal for the aggregate marketing system, therefore, is that it be both fair and efficient in its operations.
In this spirit, the Wilkie L. Wilkie "Marketing for a Better World" will honor marketing thinkers who have significantly contributed to our understanding and appreciation for marketing’s potentials to improve our world, and from whose work notable advances have ensued--in the mold of Bill Wilkie of the University of Notre Dame. These contributions can reflect conceptual developments, substantive applications, or empirical studies. While the award is not restricted to an area of work, among the sectors in which such efforts might be expected to appear are (no ordering implied):
- marketing theory
- marketing and public policy
- marketing and economic development
- social marketing
- innovation in marketing
- marketing ethics and social responsibility
- services marketing
- marketing and the consumer interest
- transformative consumer research
The recipient of the award will be honored at the AMA Winter Educators' Conference (February 26-28 2016, Las Vegas, NV -complimentary registration and travel stipend) and will receive an elegant Tiffany crystal award.
Eligibility & Criteria for Selection
Nominees must be marketing professors and self-nominations will not be reviewed. In order to submit a nomination, the following information is needed and must be submitted at a single time:
- Nominee and nominator contact information.
- Summary of the nominee's accomplishments, especially with respect to how their work has advanced marketing’s contributions to a better world (e.g., through fairness or efficiency, or new opportunities). These accomplishments may be seen through publications, academic infrastructure contributions, and/or applications.
- Vitae of nominee.
- Letter of recommendation from the nominator.
- Note: Up to 2 additional letters of support from other knowledgeable colleagues are welcomed, and will likely carry weight in the deliberation process.
Nominations received in a particular year will be retained as active for a three-year period.
The selection committee consists of senior professors.
The selection process for this award involves the committee individually reviewing and ranking the candidates against the award criteria followed by 1-2 conference call(s) to come to a consensus on the recipient.
Process for Submitting Materials
All nominations must be made online by clicking the nomination form at the top of this page. All materials must be submitted at one time.
2016 William L. Wilkie Award Recipient - Thomas C. Kinnear
William L. Wilkie Award Recipients